Plastic Surgery/Tummy tuck

Question
QUESTION: How would I know if the Scarpa Facsia was/was not sutured as part of the closure procedure of a tummy tuck, and are there any consequences if the Scarpa fascia is not sutured eg seroma formation, wound breakdown, and urinogenital disturbances?

ANSWER: from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Hi Sue,

It's very hard to find that out...it may or may not be noted in the operative report but even if there is no specific mention of it, that doesn't mean it wasn't repaired.  It is not realistic to have every detail of the procedure noted specifically.  In general, terms such as "the tissues were repaired in layers" or something like that is used.  In that case, you can reasonably assume that sutures were placed in any layers that appeared thick enough to hold tension, including Scarpa's.  Aside from that, it is difficult to ascertain.

On the other hand, I don't know of any specific deficits that have been attributed precisely to the LACK of repair of Scarpa's (or the failure of that repair).  If interrupted sutures are used (single sutures, rather than one long one) for this layer, then even if one or more of them failed, one can, similarly, assume that enough tension was maintained, on this and other layers, to prevent deficits associated with lack of repair, or impaired blood flow (which could lead to disruption, wound separation, flap loss, etc).  And seroma can occur regardless of what type of repair, and with or without drains.  Finally, I am not aware of urogenital disturbances (aside from temporary swelling and bruising) being related to this surgery and, particularly, to Scarpa's fascia.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
www.bodysculpture.com

QUESTION: Thank you Dr E for your response. However, can a surgeon tell if the scarpa fascia was not sutured?

I went in for a revision of scar only but, my surgeon (not the surgeon who did the original surgery) told me that my abdomen was a 'mess' and that there was a lot of scar tissue and that he was forced to lift the flap again, all due to the scarpa fascia not being sutured. He further suggested that, had the scarpa fascia been sutured then a seroma would not have formed or my wound brokedown. Is this true?

Sue

Answer
I would have a hard time looking at tissue during a revision and being able to determine with certainty what was or was not done...in general, it's hard to say something "wasn't done" since even if it were done (ie, repaired) the repair may not have held adequately.  I also would not be comfortable stating that a seroma would not form in the presence of a repaired layer of tissue.  It's just a little too nebulous, in my opinion.

Dr.  E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS