Plastic Surgery/Re: Post-Rhinoplasty Swelling

Question
Dear Dr. Tobin,

I have had three rhinoplasty surgeries. The first one was in Summer 2009 and was a septorhinoplasty to correct deviated septum and remove hump on the bridge. The second surgery was October of 2010 to completely remove the hump as there was still a bit left as well as shave a bit of the cartilage on the right side of my nose.

In January of 2011 I got in a car accident and the airbag hit my in the face pretty badly. My nose was pretty badly swollen up on one side and after a year or so it looked crooked, thus initiating my third and hopefully final surgery. In this, my doctor (same surgeon for all three) performed an osteotomy on the right side and he also took out scar tissue which was next to the tip on the right side.

When the cast came off, my nose looked excellent, perfectly straight and symmetrical. For two days, it looked great. However, beginning on the third day after the cast came off and since then (it has been a week since the cast is off, two weeks after surgery), the area where the scar tissue was removed has swollen up a lot.

Is it normal for swelling to start up a couple days after the cast is removed? How long should I expect major swelling to last for, given that it's my third surgery? How can I tell if there is swelling or if scar tissue is forming in the same location?

One more question: is the appearance of the nose immediately after cast removal a good indicator of its final appearance after all healing is complete?

Answer
It's indeed unfortunate to sustain an injury so recently following a rhinoplasty, which was, in itself, a revision.  Whenever it becomes necessary to re-operate the nose, it is normal to expect that swelling will be increased and may last longer.  When a surgeon applies a splint or cast following rhinoplasty, he has two goals.  One is to protect the nose and the other is to minimize swelling.

In your case, it sounds like the cast did effectively minimize swelling.  It's not unusual to develop additional or increased swelling after splint removal.  This could be perfectly normal.  However, it is important to be sure there is no other additional cause for the delayed swelling.  Possibilities include infection or bleeding (hematoma) as well as fluid collection (seroma).  Your surgeon can determine, on examination, if these complications are present and so it is important for him to examine you in this regard.

Unfortunately, the hardest question to answer is how long the selling will last  In part, it depends on your activity.  A lot of vigorous activity can prolong swelling.  Some people just swell more than others.  Keeping your head elevated and gentle compression of the nose can help to resolve swelling.  As a general rule, we tell our patients that most of the swelling will be gone by 3 months, but it can take up to a year.  Of course, as I mentioned, each time you re-operate in the same area, it will take longer for the swelling to resolve.

As to your final question, yes, the appearance after splint removal is an indicator of the final appearance, but there certainly can be changes due to scar formation and resolution of swelling.

I hope this information helps, but again, it is important to see your surgeon to be sure that your recovery is not being hindered by complications.

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS