Plastic Surgery/JAW IMPLANT SURGERY

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Jafri,

I was interested in having customized medpor jaw implants on my lower jaw, and wanted to get some idea of how bad the scars would be?  I had a previous bsso and genioplasty which left notches on both sides of my chin as well as a loss of volume on the left side...The idea would perhaps make an implant for each side...I had the the first surgery six years ago, and I still have mild residual numbness on my lip, because that surgeon injured the mental nerve...I am reluctant to have internal incisions, because I heard that the external approach is safer both from a nerve issue as well as the lack of bacteria from the oral cavity...Can you give me your thoughts on the external approach with regards to the nerve, infection, and scarring issues compared to an internal approach?  Thanks in advance, Doug

ANSWER: Hi Doug,

This is a very good question and the advantages and disadvantages of each approach must be weighed carefully before deciding which way to go.

You have had previous surgery resulting in mental nerve injury and there will also be some scarring present. Therefore it is very important that your surgeon guide you in deciding which approach to utilize since these are both factors that will impact your implant placement.

In general the intra-oral approach is nice since it allows for direct visualization of implant placement onto the jawbone. However you already have one mental  nerve knocked out and it must be questioned wether risking injury to the opposite one is worth it (potentially leaving your entire lower lip numb). With good surgical closure and good postop care, bacteria infecting the intra-oral approach should be a rather rare complication.

Extra-oral approach is safer than intra-oral in terms of nerve injury or infection but leaves an external scar and can sometimes make it harder to place lateral implants in the jaw. Also your previous surgeries may have associated scar tissue that could impact the extra-oral approach.

Both approaches will have their benefits and drawbacks - really best thing to do is sit down with your surgeon who can see and examine your specific anatomy and give you their opinion.

Take care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

QUESTION: Hello Dr. Jafri,

You gave me very good advice...I don't yet have a surgeon for the custom jaw implants, and I want to know if you do this type of work?  It sounds like you are incredibly knowledgeable about this process...Thanks for your email

Doug

ANSWER: Hi Doug,

Thank you. I do do jaw and chin implants. It would be very important that whoever does your surgery they have a chance to examine you and go over the best options in your case.

QUESTION: Hi Dr. Jafri,

I noticed that you have several locations...Can I make an appointment at your Levittown office?

Thanks much...

Doug

Answer
Hi Doug,

I can see you in Levittown 5167316644. Please be advised though that at that location I do more of medical head and neck surgery so they may charge a consultation fee (100.00)

If you are able to come to my office / surgery center in Manhattan 2128880607 (ask for Tracy) there is no consultation fee and that is where I do my cosmetic / implant surgeries.

Either location is fine by me and will be happy to give you the best advice I can.
Thanks!

Plastic Surgery

Kamran Jafri, MD