Plastic Surgery/Saline gel implant problem

Question
QUESTION: Sir,
My sister is 27 years old. She has undergone breast implant that is saline gel implant 11 days ago. After 3 days of surgery, drainage started from the stich, a light yellowish fluid along with the slight amount of blood is draining. She consult to her plastic surgeon to know whether it is infection or nor, the specimen was tested but there was no sign of bacteria growth from the report. What is the reason for this drainage, there is no pain, no swelling. please tell how to cure. Is there need to remove the implant............

ANSWER: Unfortunately, a lot of information is lacking so I can't tell you precisely what is going on.  A small amount of drainage from the incision with no bacterial growth is not of great concern as long as the problem is not involving the implant, itself.  Signs of concern would be swelling of the breast or bruising. If there were a significant difference in the appearance of the two breasts, I would be more concerned.  I presume that if the specimen was tested, her doctor also examined her and so these deeper problems are less likely.  If the problem is just superficial, there is no need to remove the implant.  

The location of the incision is also significant.  An armpit incision is very far from the implant and less likely to cause trouble.  An incision under the breast (inframammary) is much closer to the implant and so would be of more concern.  In this area, it is much easier for any wound problem to work its way down to the implant.  The periareolar (nipple) incision is in between, but usually allows for a greater distance between the incision and the implant compared to the inframammary incision.

Hope this helps

Howard Tobin MD FACS

QUESTION: Incision is under the breast, there is no redness or pain, drainage is from a single stitch under the breast. There is no deformation of breast still. Please tell me that it is simply body resistance due to the foreign body or saline gel leakage from the implant. If you need further information, please tell. Waiting for your reply. Thanks alot...........

Answer
From what you describe, I see no evidence of saline or gel leakage.  It does sound simply like a stitch reaction, which is not terribly uncommon and generally leads to no problem.  If it is a permanent suture, the stitch may have to be removed.  With absorbable sutures, often the problem will resolve without stitch removal.  If there is any indication that the problem is worsening, I would have your doctor take another look.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS