Plastic Surgery/Tummy tuck vs coolSculpting

Hello dr. Engler
I am 38, mother-of-3 and in need of a tummy tuck.  My vertical abdominal muscles are separated and I have a lot of loose skin.  I am thinking to get CoolSculpting to get rid of fat and velaShape for skin tightening instead of the invasive lipo and tummy tuck I need.  My question is:  will I still need to get the muscles repaired with surgery???  Thank you

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Gabi,

I cannot give an absolute answer since I have not seen enough results with the techniques you mention to compare.  However, based on what you're comparing them to - tummy tuck, lipo, muscle repair - my sense is that they are not an equal exchange.  In other words, you may be expecting more of the CoolSculpting and VelaShape than is reasonable.  While both can provide at least some improvement, neither (from what I know) can compare with the amount of repair and reconstruction that the tummy tuck can provide.  And since the muscle repair is probably a significant component, it may be overly hopeful for you to truly be able to replace the more standard procedures with what you've proposed.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.