Plastic Surgery/Plastic surgery

Question
Good morning doctor!
Iam jousuf from india i wanted to know about plastic surgery and drawback of plastic surgery iam a student i have a deep acne scars after consuming Accutane tuff acne tablets my cheeks looks as if it is like stone my whole body skin has changed iam really disappointed with my life is there any treatment for my skin is it possible can my looks wil change after plastic surgery pls advice me nothing comes to my mind right now help me,
regards
jousuf.

Answer
Jousuf

Laser resurfacing with a carbon dioxide laser and dermabrasion (skin sanding) are the primary surgical treatments for deep acne scars..Both work by removing the outer layers of the skin leading to a reorganization of the deeper collagen fibers.  The treatment will reduce the scars but will not eliminate them and often multiple treatments are required.  Possible problems include changes in skin pigmentation, especially in patients with darker skin, and possible additional scarring.  Accutane treatment must be discontinue for six months to a year before treating surgically.  This is VERY important to minimize risks.

Hope this is of some help.  I realize that the scarring is very frustrating.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS