Plastic Surgery/pectus excavatum

Question
"Dear sir,

I'm Niranjan (age 29)from colombo, Sri Lanka. I've a problem in my chest. Middle area of my chest went inside (pectus excavatum)and it's looks bad. I remember that, this is from in my age of 14. At that time I thought this is because of i'm too slim. Until now I thought that this is only for me in the world.
Today I came to know this is a common to all.

1)I've wesing problem ( Difficult to breath) when cold climate & due dust. I've doubt this is due to my chest deformity.
2) I want to know , are there any affects (heart problem/chest problem) due to this deformity.
3) Is it compulsory to do surgery or i can live with this through out my life.
4) Are there any side effect due to the treatment e.g-Nuss procedure or vacuum.

Kindly clear my doubt sir, i was mentally upset due to this chest appearance for a  long time.

Thank you.
G.Niranjan"

Answer
Dear Niranjan

Sorry for the delay, but this is the first I received your question.

Most of the time, pectus excavatum is only a cosmetic problem, but in very severe cases it can lead to heart or lung problems.  If it were severe enough to cause these problems, they generally would occur all the time.  Your symptoms seem seasonal, and so, they are not very likely the result of the pectus excavatum.  Surgery is only required if there are functional problems.  If so, this is a fairly major procedure there most commonly involves removal and reversal of the depressed sternum and ribs.  This procedure is generally done by a thoracic surgeon rather than a plastic surgeon.

Without functional reasons for surgery, there is no need to consider correction unless you desire to do it for cosmetic reasons, in which case the most common correction would consist of insertion of a silicone implant above the depressed area.  We do this endoscopically (using telescopes) though a small incision.  The operation is quite safe, but as with any surgery, there exist the possibility of complications.  The most common is the build up of fluid around the graft, which could require drainage for a period of time.

In summary, severe pectus excavatum can cause significant pulmonary or cardiac problems, but in most cases is only a cosmetic deformity.  Your personal physician should be able to advise you if your difficulty breathing is related to obstruction from the deformity or is related to allergies or other problems.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin, MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS