Plastic Surgery/Seroma still draining after 1 1/2 months

Hi Dr.

I have a full TT with liposuction and lipotransfer in my butt in dec 12, 2012 and was ok. In my first revision my surgeon say I have a seroma and try to drain it with a syringe but he canīt. in the next appointment he don't have succeed either, so, he send me to make a ultrasound and there we see in all the line on the scar 4 seromas. My PS suggest to wait to my body reabsorb the liquid, but 1 month exactly of my procedure 1 stitch open and drain a lot of yellow-clear liquid. 10 days later, another stitch open and drain too. Now, 1 1/2 months later still draining both of them and have a little white "balls" (like a pimple) and blood a little in the open stitches. 3 days ago I feel in my lower abdomen have a weight and more swelling and the drain liquid is now like a yellow mucus, I don't have pain and the liquid has not bad odor.  What can I do or suggest to my surgeon? need a second procedure? or a review procedure? My surgeon is certificated by de board plastic surgeons.

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Marcela,

I'm sorry for the problems you're having.  If I understand you correctly, you have persistent drainage after a tummy tuck and lipotransfer.  Assuming that's the case, I would have one or more drains (such as a penrose drain) inserted, under ultrasound guidance if necessary, into any of the larger cavities.  It is, in general, important to try to keep the cavity drained until it has a chance to scar down on its own and, hopefully, before a pseudobursa develops.  At that point, another surgical procedure might be necessary.

You should, of course, discuss all of this with your own plastic surgeon and, if necessary, seek a second opinion from someone near you.

I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.