Plastic Surgery/Symptoms of a broken nose

Hello doctor,

I was wondering whetհer bleeding, swelling and bruising are compulsory symptoms of a broken nose? Can only dull pain when touching nose bridge for a day or two after hitting mean u have a broken nose?

Thank you in advance for responding!

one can have a minor nose fracture without much swelling or bleeding. however the important point in nose fracture is whether there is any distortion of the shape. If there is no distortion and shape is as before [especially 5 days later after injury to give time for swelling to go down] then treatment is not necessary. Minor fractures can heal on their own.
pain on touching the area does not necessarily mean fracture, it could be just pain due to the hurt to soft tissues.
X Ray does not always show minor nasal fractures.
you can of course see a plastic surgeon or ENT specialist within 5 days if you still have a doubt.

Plastic Surgery

Mohan Rangaswamy

I am a certified plastic surgeon with special interest on aesthetic surgery, practising in Dubai, U.A.E. dealing with patients form diverse nationalities. You can address questions to me on body and facial aesthetic surgery (liposuction, breast surgery, nose corrections, eyelid surgery, fat injections, botox and fillers) as well as reconstructive surgery. I also have experise in the area of peripheral nerve surgery such as carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve entrapments. I would especially welcome queries from net-surfers from this part of the world.

I have 17 years experience in reconstructive plastic surgery and over 12 years in aesthetic surgery. After qualifying as a general surgeon, I was fortunate to work in a unit that did complex reconstructive surgery and general surgery as well. This spurred my interest in plastic surgery as a career as the possibilities seemed to be amazing and limitless. This was the era when microsurgery and flaps captured our imagination. I further acquired formal training in Plastic surgery, burns, maxillofacial and hand surgery. this was followed by a training apprenticeship in aesthetic surgery. In my practice as a plastic surgeon, I do more aesthetic work now and am keen on developing minimal invasive surgery. I am a member of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Royal college of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, U.K.

Professional: Plastic and Reconstructive surgery journal, Acta Tropica, European journal of OB & Gyn etc.