Plastic Surgery/Body Bent and Distorted

Hello. Lots of concerns right now at 3 weeks out. Was disappointed with the whole experience pretty much starting in the recovery room, (Had Breast Augmentation, Tummy tuck, small amount lipo). Came to in alot of pain, shivering badly as they stuffed me into a full compression suit which was way to small and tight. I was having trouble breathing and talking so they ignored my pleas. I actually thought I might smother. I learned later I had partially collapsed lungs and an esophageal tear which may have contributed to the pain of being compressed. The morning after surgery I became ill and vomited a large cup of dark reddish black substance. I had only had chicken broth to eat. They did not seem concerned and discharge me home. My one drain was pulled prior to discharge. I ended up at ER on day 4 where compression suit was cut off. My genital area as well as inner thighs were black and hard, but recovered after a week or so. Currently dealing with multiple hematomas in abdominal area, which they frequently aspirate. I am still unable to stand upright at 3 weeks although my surgeon tells me to. My skin feels tight and corded from my thighs on up. My vaginal entrance is in a different location, my outer labia is stretched flat. My back skin is extremely tight and my buttocks feel tucked between my legs. I am very afraid  that my body will always be look and feel distorted. I am petite with short waist. He said I did not need muscle tightening, (I was prior gymnast). Just had kids and stretched skin. Have you heard these concerns before?

from Dr Alan Engler

Hi Ali,

I am obviously very sorry for what you're going through.  This is not a typical recovery in my experience.

However, I cannot even begin to figure out what's happening via this forum.  You need to be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon, and probably with the assistance of a general surgeon in view of your pulmonary and esophageal issues, to assess you and to decide what needs to be done next.  The early concerns include the drainage of any hematomas, but the longer-term concerns have to do with the way you'll heal after the plastic surgery.  It takes several months to see and assess the final results but you'll need to maintain close contact with a plastic surgeon you have confidence in throughout this process.

I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.