Plastic Surgery/lazer lipo

Hi Dr.
There is currently a deal on with Groupon for lazer lipo treatments at a substantial savings. I have always considerd lipo but until recently had litle disposable income.
I am 55. My main issue is man boobs. In fact they arent so much breasts, but there is a lot of fatat the sides of my chest just before my armpits. I have attemtted to make myself look as good as possible with exercise, weight lifting, and diet, but these arent going. I believe it is genetic as my Dad was the same.
I am self concious about removing my shirt, but with summer here would love to go swimming with my grandchildren at the beach.
Would lazer lipo help? Thanks!

Hi Bud,

Lipo, including laser lipo, can be an effective treatment for "man-boobs," although you have to address the potential excess of skin that can occur after lipo.  There is some degree of contraction of the skin but not an unlimited amount.  In general, lipo is the best way to treat this (in the absence of too much lax skin).

Whether or not you should go with the Groupon is harder for me to say.  Your surgeon needs to be experienced and preferably that the case for the surgeon offering the Groupon?  As much as it seems like a good deal, that will only be the case if you're happy with the result (and, needless to say, if the procedure is performed safely, etc).  If you're comfortable with those issues, then Groupon may make sense.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.