Plastic Surgery/Skin Cancer Surgery on my Forehead

Recently I had surgery done by a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon to remove a skin cancer from my forehead.   At the original consultation he told me that I would require a skin flap  However, on the day of my surgery upon checking in at the hospital I became aware from his notes that a muscle was also to be removed.   The next time I had the opportunity to speak with him was in the pre-op room and when I told him what I had read in his notes he confirmed that he would be removing a muscle as he said the cancer was growing round it.   At this point there was nothing for me to do except to proceed.   The surgery was professionally done and the healing process is going well .    Now two weeks following surgery I find that my eyebrow has dropped considerably and my eyelid is drooping very badly.  My question is will this situation improve with time or will it get worse and is there anything I can do to reverse things.

There's not much you can do at this point,  Nerve testing can give information as to whether the weakness is from the nerve or muscle, but it is quite possible that function will return following in growth of new nerves, even if the nerve has been cut.  

If the cancer was invasive, it probably was necessary to go deep enough to require muscle resection which can involve injuring the nerve to the muscle.  While you cannot do anything to reverse the process, from a cosmetic standpoint, Botox can be used on the opposite side to temporarily reduce muscle function to give you more facial symmetry.  Botox lasts about 4 months and can be repeated.  It will take a year, or possibly longer, for nerve regrowth to be complete, so don't give up hope too soon.

Best of luck.

Howard Tobin MD  FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS

I can answer questions related to Cosmetic Surgery. I cannot answer questions related to reconstruction, burn treatment, cleft palate surgery or traumatic surgery. My practice is, and has been for 36 years, limited to Cosmetic Surgery. For further information, go to

As mentioned above, I have exclusively practiced cosmetic surgery for over 36 years. My practice encompases all aspects of cosmetic surgery

American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (past president) American Society of Liposuction Surgery (past president) Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas (past president) Fellow American College of Surgeons Texas Medical Association see cv on website for further details

Seventy three published articles. see cv on website for further details

Graduate of Princeton University and Baylor College of Medicine Internship - University of Virginia Residency - Baylor Medical College Affiliated Residencies Fellowship - University of Cincinnati see cv on website for further details

American Medical Association - Physician's Recognition Award; 1969- present American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Honor Award, October, 1983 American Board of Cosmetic Surgery - Certificate of Appreciation - 1987 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Best presentation at 1987 annual meeting: "Revision Mammaplasty with Replicon Prosthesis" Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Certificate of Appreciation 1989-90 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Honor Award for distinguished service, 1989 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Appreciation Award for authorship of monograph on outpatient surgery , 1993 Certificate of Excellence in Continuing Medical Education in Cosmetic Surgery, 1993 - American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Honor Award, 1994 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Recognition plaque following term of Presidency - 1995 Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Special Citation of Appreciation for Service; November 1996 International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Appointed honorary North American President, 1995 1997 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery: Award for excellence in cosmetic surgery; Jan 2003 Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas Appreciation Award for Leadership; 2004 Honorary Member Mexican Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2007

A past sponsor of the Miss Texas USA pageant, he has also served as a judge for this and other pageants. His patients include many pageant contestants and winners up to the Miss Universe title