Plastic Surgery/Nose

Dr Engler -

Thanks for taking my question. I broke my nose 10+ years ago and let it heal naturally. I now notice more and more that my nose is note centered and my breathing in one nostril is labored. I also experience heavy snoring at the moment. Is there a procedure for a simple re-break and straightening of the nose with no major cosmetic changes? If so, what would you approximate the cost and is it covered by insurance? I am happy with all other aspects of my nose. Thanks!

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Mike,

Not really.  There are procedures that can be done, I wouldn't necessarily call any of them "simple," and, even with that, it can be very difficult to return your nose to its pre-injury appearance.  That may sound counter-intuitive, but once these tissues (particularly) the cartilage heal in their new formation (ie, if there is a curve that wasn't there before) it's extremely challenging to "undo" that.  Many things can be done with a rhinoplasty (the general term for plastic surgery of the nose) but to have a full and appropriate assessment I'd recommend that you see a few board-certified plastic surgeons in your area to get an idea of what they feel is appropriate; it's more than can be discussed via this forum.  Insurance coverage is a difficult issue to assess.  In general, insurance may cover, fully or partially, surgery that is performed to return function but it does not usually apply to a cosmetic issue.  Even if the surgery is "covered," you have to find out exactly what that means and then find a surgeon who is willing to accept the terms of that coverage (the surgeon and the insurance company may not agree on what the appropriate fees are for that coverage).  Finally, prices vary widely so it would be hard for me to give a sense on that.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.