Plastic Surgery/slim body, big belly

Hi Doctor
I am 55. For most of my life I was a heavy drinker, mostly binging on weekends.
Since New Years I have been alcohol free. I have also ben exercising, and watching what I eat. I have lost weight, and feel great mentally and physically
My belly is still very pronounced and firm. In fact I have a faint sixpack visible. I believe this is the result of my drinking.
My doctor says I do not have a liver issue, ascites, and no food intolerance problems. He calls it central obesity and to keep doing what I am doing.
It is very frustrating, however, to FINALLY look good in a swim suit except for a belly that makes me look 9 months prego!
In your experience, will this eventually go down to a more appropriate size, and is lactic surgery an option at all? Thanks!

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Bud,

Congrats on turning your health around!

I can't really answer this without being able to see you in person.  But, in general, you'll need to keep up with a good diet and exercise routine to address this issue.  If you are morbidly obese (a clinical definition) then lap-band or laparascopic surgery (I think that's what you meant) may help but if it's limited to central obesity (just fat around with intestines, which it sounds like what you're describing) then that procedure may not help.

So - you'll need to see someone in person to assess you but my guess is that you have to try to do it on your own with better nutrition, regular exercise and maintaining the alcohol-free lifestyle.  And congrats on that!

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.