Plastic Surgery/Unpleasing Face after Jaw Surgery

Face Comparison
Face Comparison  
Hi, I am going through orthodontic treatment. I was told my upper jaw was too narrow causing a cross bite. I was told that I would need to get surgery to correct this and have my upper jaw widened. I did not realize the implications this would have on my face. I absolutely hate how my face looks now. Something is wrong with it and I want it fixed, but I don't know exactly what is wrong with it so I was hoping that you could tell me with the pictures I am providing.

In the photos, hopefully I resized them properly. My presurgery photos I weigh 145 to 155 lbs. All the other photos I weigh about 150 to 165 lbs. I workout a lot so my weight fluctuation is mostly muscle mass. Obviously in the presurgery photos I am younger.

I feel like I my face now looks fat. I also have this bizarre feature with my mouth popping out from my facial outline in the 3/4 view in the pictures.

The first jaw surgery was the expansion as I said and the second jaw surgery was to move my upper jaw slightly upwards and forwards, and make my lower jaw a bit longer. I only went through with the second surgery because I was hoping it would make my face look better after what happened from the first surgery.

Is there plastic surgery that can correct this? What would need to be done? Should I try to get my upper jaw reduced? Even though I would have a cross bite I would be happy with my face...

Hi, I am sorry that you are not happy with the results of your surgery. Orthognathic surgery is usually done tp improve function and aesthetics. I do not perform this type of surgery currently. The short answer without examining you is that I do not think that plastic surgery can correct the upper face fullness much in a very predictable way. However, There is a procedure that after full exam may be considered and that is Buccal fat pad extraction. This is to remove some of  the cheek fat pad from inside the mouth.
This may be an option after you make sure that your jaw surgery did accomplish its goals because as I see you are still in orthodontic treatment.
I caution you that you must really have a full evaluation by a team of oral and maxillofacial surgeon and cosmetic surgeon , or a surgeon who is proficient in both area.

Plastic Surgery

babak farzaneh

I am a COSMETIC SURGEON and exclusively practice cosmetic surgery. I can answer all questions regarding cosmetic surgery of the face, body and breast. I have been in practice since 2006. I prefer not to answer questions regarding reconstruction, microvascular surgery or hand surgery.

I have been in private practice since 2006 performing all aspects of body, face and breast cosmetic surgery. To date I have performed over three thousands cometic surgery procedures with less than 0.5% revision rate.

American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery World Academy of Cosmetic Surgery

I completed a two year post residency accredited cosmetic surgery fellowship program. To date, I have performed over three thousand cosmetic surgery procedures. I am a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where I obtained dual degrees in Biology and Chemistry. In 2001 I received my Medical Degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Following graduation, I served my residency in general and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Maryland Hospital, where I was awarded the coveted designation of “intern of the year.” Subsequently, I completed an additional two-year fellowship in face, breast and body cosmetic surgery under the directorship of Dr. Howard Tobin, past president of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.

Most Compassionate Doctor 2010 Patients’ Choice Award 2008 Patients’ Choice Award 2010