Plastic Surgery/cauliflower ear

cauliflower ear
cauliflower ear  
I have been playing rugby for over 12 years and in the process i have gained a cauliflower ear.when i first done it after impact in a tackle i hand it drained but after many tackles and drained many times it finally went hard and numb.
When your in the rugby environment it doesn't seem to bad as everyone in the sport knows what it is, how ever now my days of rugby are over when i go for a job interview i always get ask what happen to your ear are you a fighter things along those lines.and it seems to be putting employers off and i notice in public people stare a lot at my ear and this is effecting my self confidence.
In hind sight i wish i worn some sort of head protection but im afraid i cant go back in time now im 25 and still have a lot of life left.
So my question is have you heard of a surgery that cant give a better appearance i know it will not be perfect but at least remove some of the mass thats inside the ear and how much would this treatment cost in the US if i travelled there,I am in the UK so may be able to get it with nhs but not sure as it happened due to sport
Thank you so much

While I have not had any personal experience treating a condition exactly like yours, I do feel that is could be significantly improved by using a laser to reduce the underlying scar tissue.  I would elevate the skin off of the scar and then use the laser underneath.  Again, I must state that this recommendation is not based on personal experience but on my general approach to deformities of the ear.  The concern with any type of scar revision surgery is the risk of recurrence.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a cost estimate since that would vary considerably depending on the surgeon as well as the associated operating room and anesthesia costs. I we were to undertake such a procedure I would estimate total cost in the $4000 to $5000 range assuming the surgery was done under general anesthesia.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS

I can answer questions related to Cosmetic Surgery. I cannot answer questions related to reconstruction, burn treatment, cleft palate surgery or traumatic surgery. My practice is, and has been for 36 years, limited to Cosmetic Surgery. For further information, go to

As mentioned above, I have exclusively practiced cosmetic surgery for over 36 years. My practice encompases all aspects of cosmetic surgery

American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (past president) American Society of Liposuction Surgery (past president) Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas (past president) Fellow American College of Surgeons Texas Medical Association see cv on website for further details

Seventy three published articles. see cv on website for further details

Graduate of Princeton University and Baylor College of Medicine Internship - University of Virginia Residency - Baylor Medical College Affiliated Residencies Fellowship - University of Cincinnati see cv on website for further details

American Medical Association - Physician's Recognition Award; 1969- present American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Honor Award, October, 1983 American Board of Cosmetic Surgery - Certificate of Appreciation - 1987 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Best presentation at 1987 annual meeting: "Revision Mammaplasty with Replicon Prosthesis" Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Certificate of Appreciation 1989-90 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Honor Award for distinguished service, 1989 American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Appreciation Award for authorship of monograph on outpatient surgery , 1993 Certificate of Excellence in Continuing Medical Education in Cosmetic Surgery, 1993 - American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Honor Award, 1994 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery - Recognition plaque following term of Presidency - 1995 Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Healthcare Special Citation of Appreciation for Service; November 1996 International Academy of Aesthetic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine - Appointed honorary North American President, 1995 1997 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery: Award for excellence in cosmetic surgery; Jan 2003 Cosmetic Surgical Society of Texas Appreciation Award for Leadership; 2004 Honorary Member Mexican Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2007

A past sponsor of the Miss Texas USA pageant, he has also served as a judge for this and other pageants. His patients include many pageant contestants and winners up to the Miss Universe title