Plastic Surgery/new techniques in facelift

Would you kindly explain if there are any new techniques in lower facelift surgery that are minimally invasive but lift more than just skin, and have longevity?  I'm 56,  still look good  but want to fix slight "Jowling" or loosening skin on bottom of face/chin/jaw.  (Don't want to do neck because of thyroid tumor, would be happy with just tighter jawline.) A plastic surgeon I trust said I'd need a regular lower facelift as the new "mini lifts" only lift skin and don't last, and he said it would take 4 hours and general anesthesia. But another surgeon said I don't need a facelift yet, and another said he could do 2 hours and a local. How do I know who to believe?

from Dr. Alan Engler

There is probably no procedure with more different names attached than a "facelift."  One surgeon's mini-facelift may be another surgeon's extensive lift and, regardless, the most commonly performed facelift procedure is probably most accurately termed a "lower face and neck lift."

It is not possible for me to comment on what three different surgeons have said in your specific case but, in general, it sounds like you've done appropriate research.  That being said, you may want to see even a few more surgeons and instead of asking the names of the procedures, find out exactly where they would make the incisions, how far they would lift up the skin, tighten any deeper structures, etc.  In general, the most curtailed and limited procedures provide less dramatic and shorter-lasting results.  Though that may be adequate for you.

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.