Plastic Surgery/eye wrinkles

Question
dynamic eye wrinkles
dynamic eye wrinkles  
Hi there.  I turned 40 in August.  I am female, 5'4", 115 lbs, wear Cotz zinc oxide sunscreen every single day, eat a very healthy diet, don't drink and have never smoked.  Up until 6 months ago, I did not even have very noticeable crow's feet.  I've had somewhat deep tear troughs all my life that I've never been that bothered by.  In June I used a new facial cleansing brush that had fairly rough bristles and may have gotten too close to the eye area, because I woke up the next day with what appeared to be tiny whiteheads all around the tear troughs.  The bumps went away on their own in a few days.  (I have not used that cleansing brush since)

Immediately after that I noticed I suddenly had quite deep crow's feet at just the corners of my eyes when I smiled.  In August I had a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist who suggested Juvaderm for the tear troughs but nothing yet for the crow's feet.  She even commented on the lack of wrinkles under the eye.  

Then in September I noticed when I smiled I had a fairly deep line under each eye as well.  This is only visible when I smile - when I'm not smiling my eyes look fine, no lines or wrinkles can be seen.  But these deep, deep dynamic wrinkles are getting worse by the day, and it seems impossible to keep them from getting worse.

I'm attaching a picture I found online that resembles sort of what I have - deep lines below and at the corners of my eyes that disappear completely when I'm not smiling.  (This is not a picture of me, it's a stock photo just to give an idea of my problem).

I know fillers are popular right now, but I also know most last less than a year, and  I can't afford constant injections, especially at several hundred dollars per syringe (because at the rate I'm going, it seems I will need to have more and more to keep up with these deep lines).  I would, however, find a way to pay for a more permanent or at least much longer term solution if it would keep these deep lines from continuing to get worse.  The entire rest of my face still looks fine, no sagging, wrinkling or any signs of aging to speak of.  But my eyes have aged at least 10 years in the last 6 months.  I'm desperate.  What are my best options?

thanks!!

Answer
The most common treatment for crow's feet is botulinum toxin including Botox, Dysport and Xeomin. These medications work by relaxing the muscles that lead to the wrinkles in the first place (in this case, the orbicularis oculi) and can be injected in the office. Usually this treatment does not alter your ability to smile, but rather decreases the ability of this portion of the muscle around the outside of the eye to contract when smiling or squinting. Botulinum toxin lasts approximately 3 months, which means this treatment requires repeat injections to maintain the effect. You should talk to a licensed plastic surgeon or dermatologist to find out about the risks and benefits of this treatment.

Plastic Surgery

Dr. Audrey Klenke