Plastic Surgery/Cyst removal scar

Question
Hello.  I had a sebaceous cyst removed from my face many years ago.  It was removed by a highly regarded PS.  It left a 3/4" indented scar.  There's no dimple from the cyst but the whole surgical line is indented and very noticeable in the right light conditions.  I've consulted a few other PS's and they said a scar revision could make it worse so I never bothered.  I did try a filler but it didn't work.  I don't think my PS used buried sutures and everyone seems to recommend buried sutures.  Is this why the scar is indented?  If you have any solutions I could try to improve this scar, I would greatly appreciate it.

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Hi Rick,

It's difficult to make an assessment and treatment recommendations via this forum, and without a photo, but here's what I'd say in general:

It is not at all uncommon for surgical scars to be less cosmetically desirable than the patients would like, and you have to try to figure out why.  Sometimes, excising the scar and reapproximating it with layered sutures can provide an improvement in its appearance, although there are no guarantees that the scar correction will persist (sometimes the forces causing the unfavorable appearance - such as muscle pull - persist).

The indented appearance, however, may also be due to the size of the mass that was removed.  In general, the larger the mass, the greater the disruption of the surrounding soft tissue.  For long-standing masses the loss of subcutaneous tissue can be permanent.  If that's the cause of the indentation, then simply resuturing will not be likely to help, as the underlying defect persists.

It may or may not be a question of buried sutures but having someone see this in person is the best idea.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS