Plastic Surgery/hernia

dr engler,don't know if this in your expertise ,maybe you can help me.i am 81 and for the past 5 years have hernia above my belly button about 4 inches across.when I sit up it does not pop out but looks like a football across not fully inflated.bump is not to tender to  touch no pain when I touch bump.when I lie dowm it flattens out.mild discomfort around belly button but no pain slight doc said since I take blood thinners for a-fib and diabeters and my age leave it chance of strangulation after 5 years is rare

In view of your medical problems (a-fib, blood thinners and diabetes), I agree with that advice...sorry...actually, many hernias are not repaired (lately), even in patients without medical problems.  There was a time when medical advice was, more commonly, to repair hernias in the hope that it would prevent strangulation and incarceration.  Now, though, with the current thoughts, combined with your medical issues - I think your doctors are doing you a favor.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.