Plastic Surgery/Male breasts

Question
Doctor,
I am 55, in good general health. I believe I have gynomastia or possibly pseudo-gynomastia. Most of the fat hangs under my armpits, peaks at the nipples, and thins toward the sternum. At my thinnest point in my 20's, they were not a big problem.
Now in my fifties, it is worse than ever. I have lost weight everywhere else on my body except the chest.
I am not sure if I want to get or can even afford liposuction surgery, and take the time off work, but there are clinics in my city that offer 'laser Lipo' and 'Cool Sculpting'. Are these effective, and if so, which would you recommend for my condition? Thanks!

Answer
Bud

Liposuction, often combined with surgical excision of residual glandular tissue, is an excellent treatment for gynecomastia or pseudo gynecomastia.  I personally do not believe that 'laser lipo' or 'cool sculpting' are potent enough to adequately treat your condition.  In some cases, it there is too much excess skin, even more of a surgical procedure is required, although usually the combination of liposuction with glandular excision through a small incision under the nipple is adequate.

Be sure your surgeon is experienced in treating gynecomastia. Short cuts often end up a waste of time and money.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS