Plastic Surgery/panilectomy

Question
Hello. I am obese. 48 yrs old. I am seeing a nutritionist for weightloss. And I'm drinking Visalus. My nutritionist says I do not eat enough calories to burn calories. In all this, I have a belly overhang that is causing very painful, open and running rash under my belly, between legs and private area. Would I be a candidate for skin removal? The rash is getting very painful! Thank you!

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Hi Cynthia,

It's hard for me to assess you via the Internet...but having excess skin and tissue causing the symptoms you're describing is, in a general sense, an indication for skin removal.  Of course, you have to be in good enough health to even consider undergoing a procedure such as this and, depending on how obese you are, you may or may not be.

I would suggest that you first ask your internist whether you would be a candidate, medically, for surgery such as this.  If so, see one or more board-certified plastic surgeons in consultation to find out what surgery might be beneficial and/or recommended for you.

And good luck on the weight loss!  It starts with calorie reduction, and then extends to exercise.  Easy to say, hard to do...

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
www.bodysculpture.com

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS