Plastic Surgery/tummy tuck scar tissue

Question
I had a Tummy Tuck with lipo a yr ago April 1st.  I had a seroma that had to be drained several times after.  I now have a large (grapefruit) pooch just about my scar that is very hard which i am assuming is scar tissue.  I have been back in several times to have this looked at and once my doctor removed more fat through the same scar and that did not work, actually made it worse and the last time he did lipo which seemed to help for about 2 days and then the pooch came right back.  It has been 2 weeks since the lipo which was done in office and I understand there may still be some swelling from that but I dont understand why it was pretty flat for 2 days and then went right back to the grapefruit size bulge again.  The skin is very tight and I have some pain in lower back and hip, not sure if this could be the cause.  I would like to have the scar tissue removed if at all possible.  Can you please adivise?

Answer
Debbie

Of course it is difficult to specifically answer your question without an examination, but  your problem sounds like what is called a "pseudocyst."  Sometimes, when a patient develops a seroma, a membrane forms around it causing a cyst like structure to develop.  It can have an appearance exactly like you describe.  If that is the case, that surgical excision is required.

The diagnosis can usually be made with ultrasound, but sometimes a CT scan is required.  I would suggest the ultrasound as an initial step since it is a lot less expensive than a CT scan.

Hope this is of help

Sincerely

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS