Plastic Surgery/Rhinophyma

Question
Dr. Engler, I have Rhinophyma. My nose is now around twice its original size. It is generally larger in every way, including the nostrils being larger. The cartilage on the sides of my nose is now curved. 1)Is it possible to revert such a nose to how it used to look?  2)What's the best method of correcting Rhinophyma? (Out of the many options available).  3) Is correcting Rhinophyma considered a fairly easy operation?   Best Regards.

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Dear Asif,

I'm sorry for the problem you're having; rhinophyma is a very unpleasant condition.  I can't say that it's "a fairly easy operation."  While not the most challenging to perform technically (ie, you don't need microsurgery, etc) it can be difficult to achieve a nice result, and it is an uncomfortable recovery.  

Basically - and this is not my area of expertise so this is general info that is correct to the best of my knowledge - it is necessary to "shave down" some of the excess tissue of the nose.  This can be done in any of several different ways; by actually using a knife (scalpel), a laser, a dermabrader, and so on.  The nasal skin becomes thickened in this condition but, at least, it typically heals well even after a "debulking" procedure such as these.

I would suggest that you have consultations with several board-certified plastic surgeons in your area and try to get a sense of what each surgeon can provide you.  Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what expectations might be realistic.

And then, good luck.  Again, I'm sorry for your condition...if it's any consolation, many other people have had it throughout history, including the financier J.P. Morgan.  Sorry, though...

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS