Plastic Surgery/loose skin and stretch marks

Hi Doctor
My daughter is 19.
She was heavy as a child, but over the last couple years has gotten to a fairly normal weight and figure.
She does have some stretch, along with fairly loose skin overall.
This may be partly genetic as I went through the exact same thing as a kid. It wasn't such a big deal to me as a guy, but I would like to know if there are options available for my daughter. She continues to exercise and maintain her weight.
I don't want to go as far as 'tucks', but is there any kind of laser surgery or other skin tightening technique that would help?
There are a couple clinic here that offer 'cool-sculpting' and laser-lipo, among others. Thanks!

Dear Bud,

Sadly, despite lots of promise and many claims, I have not seen treatments of any kind that are consistently impressive in the permanent removal of stretch marks. Surgery can "remove" them by cutting out the tissue that contains them. But as far as removing or even altering stretch marks that remain - I don't know of treatments that are effective.
Sorry about that,
Dr E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.