Plastic Surgery/Nose Work

Question
Dr Tobin,

Thanks for taking my question and taking the time to do this for people in need. Three weeks ago today, I underwent surgery to repair a deviated septum and straighten my nose. It was a closed procedure and I mentioned to my doctor that I would like to keep the shape of my nose the same, but correct a moderate to severe off center leaning to the right of my nose. No cartilage was remolded, only the nasal bone was broken and re-set.

The procedure seemed to go ok and I am breathing much better. I however am not satisfied with the results of the straightening. My nose looks identical or slightly more off center from the outside in before and after pictures. My nose was broken and put in a splint for 6 days. My questions are as follows:

Can I expect my nose to continue to straighten and improve in appearance in the next several weeks?

I played 9 holes of very careful golf (no hard swings/not smart I know)five days after the procedure with no pain during or after (brace was still on my face). Is it likely I ruined my results by doing so?

Can I now lift weights and play golf/exercise as normal without compromising the shape of my nose?    

Thanks Again!

Answer
John
Unfortunately, the information you provided as to the exact nature of the surgery and the time since it took place limits what I can tell you but, in general, it is difficult to assess the result of a rhinoplasty till the swelling subsides, which can take months. Also, when a nose is twisted due to deviatd cartilage, that is very difficult to totally correct. I know this doesn't totally answer all your questions, but it is the best I can do with the information you provided.

Depending on the doctor, it is generally recommended to avoid vigorous exercise for about 3 to 6 weeks after surgery. You should check with your doctor regarding this.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin. MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS