Plastic Surgery/Srs surgery

Is it normal to want an srs surgery? And can I get it done at any hospital if I just walk In and ask for it, I don't know how much it is or if I can get it without the bs of therapy. Can I?

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Jacob,

As you can probably understand, SRS is unusually complicated from both the physical and psychological aspects and, of course, it cannot be reversed (undone). For those reasons I cannot imagine that you can get this done by just walking into any hospital.  In my opinion, the therapy is not bs; it's a critical component of both understanding and helping to manage this complex issue.

I would recommend that you start with an internet search - if necessary - to find clinics or providers near you who specialize in this.  Fortunately, they now exist (that was not always the case).  Then you'll need to initiate contact with them, and follow all of the required steps that can, ultimately, lead to SRS.  There is no quick solution to this and, again in my opinion, I feel that that is a good thing.

I hope that this helps (even if it's not the answer you wanted to hear!),

Dr. E

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.