Plastic Surgery/Rash

Five days ago, I got a contact rash from adhesive in a bandage after surgery. The  surgeon saw me a few days ago and does not feel it is infected. I have even applying hydrocortisone the past 5 days and if course avoiding adhesive bandages. It is not hot and has not spread but gas not improved either. It is still red and swollen. How long should it take for the area to improve?

from Dr. Alan Engler

Hi Roxy,

With the understanding that only a limited degree of oversight can be provided by this forum, it looks to me as though you may have a (small) wound infection rather than an allergy to the adhesive.  You should contact your surgeon again and arrange to be seen in person or, at the very least, send him or her this photo.  You may need to have one or more sutures removed from the middle of the wound and have some fluid drained.

If it is otherwise healing well and the rash persists you can contact a dermatologist concerning the skin care - but I don't think that that's the case here.  Contact your surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.