Plastic Surgery/2 months after surgery...is it ok to wear sports bra?

Question
QUESTION: Hello dr howard,

I had breast lift,reduction and changing implants 18 days ago...how soon can i start walking fast (not jogging) only walkin fast for 2 hours everyday?

Regards.

ANSWER: l

We encourage this type of exercise right after surgery.  Just be sure you wear a good support bra.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin MD FACS

QUESTION: hello dr howard...

I asked my dr if I can still wear my surgical bra while walking exercising...he said its ok...just to get second opinion..is it ok to wear your surgical bra while walking exercising or is a sports bra better than surgical bra for exercise?

thank you again.

ANSWER: Yes, it is OK.  We generally recommend a firm sports bra when exercising soon after breast surgery.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

QUESTION: hello again dr howard,

its been 2 months since my breast lift and reduction + implant...I wore my surgical bra for 2  months 24/7 just to play it safe...my dr said I can start wearing underwires bra now...but I told him I still don't feel comfortable to wear underwire bras as my implants are not soft yet and still somehow implants are high...I asked him if I can switch to sports bra for another several months...he said its ok...but now my concern is some are sayin that wearing  sports bra too much and too long will compresses the breasts inward? is that true?

many thanks.

Answer
I really don't think so.  However, if the implants are still firm and high, we recommend avoiding a bra as much as possible to facilitate settling.  Obviously while exercising, a sports bra is fine, but most of the time a very loose bra is better  A compressive strap worn over the upper breast may help them to settle, although, more often than not it is just a matter of time.  Our experience indicates that in 5 % of submuscular implants, settling will not be complete without further surgery.  When the implants are above the muscle, the incidence is much lower.  If they are firm, it may also be an indication of early capsular contracture and that, possibly, could require additional surgery.  Your doctor would have to examine you to confirm that.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS