Plastic Surgery/surgical bra vs sports bra

Question
dear dr alan

I had breast lift/reduction and implant 4 weeks ago...i asked my dr if I can wear my surgical bra while walking exercising instead of sports bra because i  feel  surgical bra is more supportive than sports bra...he said its ok...i just need to get second opinion..is it ok to wear your surgical bra while walking exercising or is a sports bra better than surgical bra for exercise?

thank you.

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

HI Iama,

Yes, it's fine - as long as it doesn't chafe too much.  Sometimes surgical bras have enough stiff material so that if you're rubbing back and forth you can cause some skin irritation.

But I normally recommend that patients wait more like 6 weeks before exercising after this combination of procedures (breast lift and implants).  If anything, at 4 weeks, I allow a little lower body movement (like stretching).

However, what your surgeon says is completely appropriate and I think you can be comfortable with that advice.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS