Plastic Surgery/wrinkles

I am a 41 year old female. I look 25 due to my oily skin and staying out of the sun. My question  is I have fine lines and wrinkles under my eyes. I don't have crows feet. I would rather have crows feet because I feel they don't look as bad. I think it's from smiling a lot and the loss of fat under my eyes. What is the most effective wrinkle cream out there. I don't want botox or restalyne or the under eye surgery yet. I'm trying to put that off as long as I can.

from Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Hi Stef,

First, you look great - so don't stress too much about this!

Second, I (unfortunately) don't know of any specific creams or non-medical treatments that can diminish wrinkles in this area.  They're from a combination of relatively thin skin and active muscles (including smiling muscles - though don't stop that).

The most effective treatments are essentially moisturizers; they work by trapping moisture under the skin and providing a short period (a few hours) of relative puffiness.  More significant treatments include light peels; those are usually performed by dermatologists.  They're also done in non-surgical salons but I'm hesitant to recommend that broadly since there is a wide variation of skill and efficacy, and a lot at stake since it's your face.

I'd suggest meeting with a few dermatologists in your area to discuss your skin.  You will most likely have to tinker with the various products available until you find one, or more likely a combination, that you like.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.