Plastic Surgery/rhinoplasty and somnoplasty

Question
hello dr Audrey. i had a rhinoplasty in the upper part of my nose which it was too wide. i had it 3 years ago when i was 19 years old. now im 22 and i want to have a somnoplasty because of a chronic stuffy nose.  i dont want the somnoplasty to mess up my nose job. do you think im a candidate for somnoplasty? thanks in advance. ann

Answer
Ann,

Thanks so much for the opportunity to answer your questions. Somnoplasty is most commonly performed by an ENT surgeon or an Otolaryngologist and can vary depending on the actual problems you are having. Sometimes it involves destruction of the turbinates inside the nose or it could target the uvula or the base of the tongue. Iím assuming since youíre worried about your nose that your surgeon is addressing your turbinates. Since plastic surgeons donít commonly perform this procedure and I havenít examined you myself, I wouldnít feel comfortable addressing your concerns. While the turbinates are relatively far away from the upper portion of the nose, I cannot be sure what maneuvers you had during your rhinoplasty that may be affected by your possible upcoming procedure. I would suggest meeting with an ENT surgeon who performs both rhinoplasty and somnoplasty and asking very honest questions and presenting your concerns. He or she should be able to give you realistic expectations for not only what the somnoplasty can and canít do, but also whether or not itís reasonable to be worried about it changing the appearance of your nose. Best wishes to you!

Plastic Surgery

Dr. Audrey Klenke