Plastic Surgery/wearing sports bra for too long?

hello  dr audrey,

its been 2 months since my breast lift and reduction + implant...I wore my surgical bra for 2  months 24/7 just to play it dr said I can start wearing underwires bra now...but I told him I still don't feel comfortable to wear underwire bras as my implants are not soft yet and still somehow implants are high...I asked him if I can switch to sports bra for another several months...he said its ok...but now my concern is some are sayin that wearing  sports bra too much and too long will compresses the breasts inward? is that true?

many thanks.

Wearing post-operative supportive garments whether it’s after breast surgery or abdominal surgery, liposuction or even a facelift can be an imperative part of how patients heal and what sort of ultimate result they can expect. Two months is an appropriate amount of time to wear a supportive garment because at around 8 weeks after surgery, scars both on the outside and the inside start to reach their maximum strength. They will continue to mature and usually soften with time, but they will not get any stronger. This is likely why your doctor said you didn’t have to wear supportive bras if you don’t want to after this time. If it makes you feel comfortable, there is probably nothing wrong with it. Implants carry their own weight and they cannot defy gravity forever, so eventually they almost always go through the process of “settling” whereby they tend to sit a little lower and settle down onto your natural breast crease. I would wear what you are comfortable in and not worry either way - underwire or not. Enjoy your new look!

Plastic Surgery

Dr. Audrey Klenke

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Audrey Klenke and her team provide advanced healthcare for people seeking reconstructive or cosmetic surgery to enhance their well-being. We understand that living well includes feeling good about the way you look. As Beaufort County’s only female plastic surgeon, Dr. Audrey Klenke offers a unique perspective, driven by modern perceptions of aesthetics. She views cosmetic surgery as a natural part of a healthy lifestyle. Pinnacle Plastic Surgery also offers a state-of-the-art medical spa, where your vision is our inspiration. Our Licensed Esthetician specializes in age-defying treatments, and our Certified Permanent Makeup Artist provides medical tattoo services including eyebrows, eyeliner, lips, 3-D nipple/areola restoration and more. Whether you’re looking for fabulous quick fixes, like Botox® and Juvederm®, or time-honored surgical procedures, like facelift and tummy tuck, our goal is to help you look your best at any age.

Dr. Klenke completed her plastic surgery residency training program at the University of Cincinnati, where she served as the Chief Administrative Resident in the Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery. She is a published writer in the fields of breast cancer, non-surgical options and facial contouring.

American Medical Association, Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce, Greater Bluffton Chamber of Commerce and Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce

Care Magazine, FIT Magazine, The Island Packet and The Bluffton Sun

*Chief Administrative Resident: University of Cincinnati Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery *Doctor of Medicine: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine *BA in Biopsychology: Vassar College

*The Island News Favorites (2015) *WTOC Best of the Lowcountry (2015) *The Island Packet Readers’ Choice Awards (2014/2015) *Best of Bluffton (2014/2015) *Sun Today Select (2014/2015) *Hilton Head Monthly's Reader's Choice Awards (2014)