Plastic Surgery/Lipoma removal after two surgeries

Question
I have a lipoma on my upper shoulder blade.   I had a general surgeon remove it four years ago and it grew back.   Two years ago I went to a plastic surgeon on Long Island to remove it again and it grew back, plus left me with a terrible scar that can be seen when wearing a tank top in summer and at the gym.   I am researching all over to find where to go the third time.   I am also concerned about cost, and is this worth it to abandon my insurance to go where I would like.  I am wondering if having the scar opened a third time, there is going to be a horrible scar no matter what and maybe I should stay in network.

Answer
Hi C,

I'm sorry about your experience, from several different standpoints.

First, it is relatively rare for lipomas to recur, and even more so for them to recur twice.  Is there any possibility that the Pathology is wrong?  It's probably a good idea to have that reviewed before proceeding.

Second, the back is, unfortunately, a "bad" part of the body in terms of scarring.  The skin is relatively thick and, combined with the fact that there is constant tension (every time you lean forward), scars in this area tend to be less favorable.  And, in fact, anything that's done to try to improve the existing scar will leave with you with at least a slightly longer scar, and not necessarily better.

There are more and more plastic surgeons participating in insurance plans at the present time.  So I'd suggest that you visit a few different plastic surgeons in your plan (hopefully all board-certified) and then you can hopefully proceed with one of them.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS