Plastic Surgery/Asymmetric Nasal Scar Tissue

Dear Dr. Rangaswamy,

I had two rhinoplasties in the past (once in 2009 and once in 2011). The first surgery was septorhinoplasty to correct deviated septum and nasal hump. The second was for "fine tuning," as there was still a bit of a hump remaining. Furthermore, there appeared asymmetric swelling/scar tissue development on one side of my nose and nasal tip. The second surgery attempted to correct this, and after the removal of the cast, the nose looked perfect. However, beginning two days after cast removal up to today, the swelling reappeared and never healed, so there appears asymmetric bulging on one side of my nasal tip.

I wanted steroid injections for this during the process, but the doctor did not want to give in fear of a "depression" forming. However, I would much rather prefer a depression than this bulging.

Is it possible, after all this time, that I can receive steroid injections from a surgeon to kill/dissolve this scar tissue? If it would cause a depression, I would much rather prefer that.

Dear Mr.Bilal,
I is difficult to answer this without examining your nose myself. Normally scar nodules should have softened by this time. If it still persists, I wonder if it is in fact a bit of cartilage that is projecting, in that case, steroid will not work. sometimes, the better treatment may be to camouflage this 'swelling' by using a filler injection [such as Restylene] all around this area; this is called medical rhinoplasty.
I suggest that before you go for steroid injection, see a plastic surgeon well experienced in rhinoplasty. Steroid can cause depression and atrophy of skin which is quite difficult to correct and it may not correct a scar nodule so late!

Plastic Surgery

Mohan Rangaswamy

I am a certified plastic surgeon with special interest on aesthetic surgery, practising in Dubai, U.A.E. dealing with patients form diverse nationalities. You can address questions to me on body and facial aesthetic surgery (liposuction, breast surgery, nose corrections, eyelid surgery, fat injections, botox and fillers) as well as reconstructive surgery. I also have experise in the area of peripheral nerve surgery such as carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve entrapments. I would especially welcome queries from net-surfers from this part of the world.

I have 17 years experience in reconstructive plastic surgery and over 12 years in aesthetic surgery. After qualifying as a general surgeon, I was fortunate to work in a unit that did complex reconstructive surgery and general surgery as well. This spurred my interest in plastic surgery as a career as the possibilities seemed to be amazing and limitless. This was the era when microsurgery and flaps captured our imagination. I further acquired formal training in Plastic surgery, burns, maxillofacial and hand surgery. this was followed by a training apprenticeship in aesthetic surgery. In my practice as a plastic surgeon, I do more aesthetic work now and am keen on developing minimal invasive surgery. I am a member of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Royal college of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, U.K.

Professional: Plastic and Reconstructive surgery journal, Acta Tropica, European journal of OB & Gyn etc.