Plastic Surgery/Nasal Scar Tissue

Question
Dear Dr. Tobin,

I had two rhinoplasties in the past (once in 2009 and once in 2011). The first surgery was septorhinoplasty to correct deviated septum and nasal hump. The second was for "fine tuning," as there was still a bit of a hump remaining. Furthermore, there appeared asymmetric swelling/scar tissue development on one side of my nose and nasal tip. The second surgery attempted to correct this, and after the removal of the cast, the nose looked perfect. However, beginning two days after cast removal up to today, the swelling reappeared and never healed, so there appears asymmetric bulging on one side of my nasal tip.

I wanted steroid injections for this during the process, but the doctor did not want to give in fear of a "depression" forming. However, I would much rather prefer a depression than this bulging.

Is it possible, after all this time, that I can receive steroid injections from a surgeon to kill/dissolve this scar tissue? If it would cause a depression, I would much rather prefer that.

Answer
Yes, Bilal

Steroid injections can be very helpful to soften of "dissolve" scar tissue following a rhinoplasty.  If done carefully and in stages, the risk of depression is quite low.

On the other hand, from your description,  ( However, beginning two days after cast removal up to today, the swelling reappeared ) , that does not sound like scar tissue.  It is possible that some persistent anatomical problem persists but was not obvious right after splint removal due to swollen.

A thorough re-exam would be needed to determine the exact cause of the problem.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS