Plastic Surgery/Excess skin removal after weight loss

Question
I have lost a great deal of weight but am still at 350lbs (please don't judge, my weight was caused by prescription meds). I already have a lot of excess skin mainly in my thighs, pelvic area, belly and breasts but I am slowly starting to get some in the "bat wings" area. I realize I still weigh a lot but what is the maximum weight I would have to be at to have a plastic surgeon consider removing even just the knee to belly button area? I am asking you only because I just moved and the wait list for a family doctor is 1-2 years and the excess skin is affecting me being able to wear clothes, bathe and exercise and the excess skin on my thighs is getting in the way when going to the washroom.

Answer
from Dr. Alan Engler
www.bodysculpture.com

Hi Kes,

Thanks for the question but there is no way I can answer it via this forum.  You would need to be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon who can assess you, from both the anatomical and medical standpoints.

And "just the knee to the belly button area" is still quite a bit (nothing personal, of course...) and can involve, even for that region alone, more than one surgical procedure to achieve an adequate result.  And, of course, if you were to do the surgery now and then lose more weight, you might have to redo some of the areas.

The best thing is to get down to the lowest weight that you think you can reasonably maintain, and then be assessed in person by several surgeons.  That way you'll have several different opinions to choose from or, if they all say the same thing, you can be confident that that's the right direction to go.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100
@RealSelf

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS