Plastic Surgery/Nose Surgery and Braces

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Howard,

1) Sir can one have surgery for deviated nasal bone, if he has braces installed in his teeth?

2) Sir sometimes patients die because of General Anesthesia used for nose surgery , but this is because of irresponsibility and malpractice of anesthesiologist? Or there could be some other reasons also?

ANSWER: Hulmair

1)  Yes, you can have a rhinoplasty while wearing dental braces.

2)  Anesthetic death is quite rare during elective surgery, but of course it is possible.  While there is always the possibility that the death is a result of negligence, far more common would be death from unanticipated natural causes such as allergy, cardiac condition, pulmonary embolus, etc.

It is important to be sure your surgery is carried out in a modern, well equipped facility with a well trained staff capable of responding to emergency situations.  It is also important that your anesthesia provider is well trained and capable of dealing with adverse situations.

Sincerely
Howard A Tobin MD FACS

QUESTION: 1)Sir as you said that  be death can be from unanticipated natural causes such as allergy, cardiac condition, pulmonary embolus, because of general anesthesia. If the patient is worried of these side effects and death chances , so then shall he go for nose surgery or not?

2) If the staff , surgeon and anesthesia provider are well trained , then sti

Answer
Humair
That is a question only you can answer.  There will always be some risk to surgery.  You must weigh the benefits and risks and come to your own conclusion.  Rhinoplasty is an elective operation and so the choice must be left to you.

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS