Plastic Surgery/Breast reduction

Hello Dr. Klenke,

My 18 year old daughter had a breast reduction almost 8 weeks ago. She wore a 34E/F. She is a petite 110#.  She repeatedly requested to be "as small as possible." There could not have been a misunderstanding.  The plastic surgeon  only took off 250 gm and 270 gms.  He said he took off as much as he could to preserve her nipples. Well, she is pretty much able to fit in all her old bras and is devastated! She was hoping to have a new found freedom shopping for bras and bathing suits. Can you please tell me if anything more can be done? I am so sad that she went through the surgery and you can hardly tell a difference!
Thank you for your time.

First, I am so sorry your daughter isn’t satisfied. Breast reduction surgery is probably one of the more satisfying procedures performed in the world of plastic surgery because there is often an instant sense of relief and a new found ability to do activities that were limited before. For a frame of reference, insurance companies often require 500 grams to be removed per side in order to qualify for financial coverage. Of course there are other requirements depending on the plan such as body surface area or BMI cut-offs, attempts at other methods of relief, etc. This doesn’t necessarily mean that every patient needs 500 grams removed per breast, but I only share that again as a frame of reference. Every individual patient is different and I often have involved conversations with my patient to try to understand her goals. For example, once I get a ballpark idea of the desired size I ask patients “Would you rather wake up and feel too big or too small?” That helps me understand where we’re going. Preserving the blood supply to the nipple is, of course, important. I talk to my patients, even large-breasted patients, about attempting to preserve the nipple on a pedicle and that if for some reason the blood supply is compromised during surgery, I remove the nipple and replace it similar to a skin graft to allow it to live. In the aforementioned scenario, sensation and the ability to breast feed is lost, but the aesthetics are salvaged. This type of “plan B” is performed very, very rarely. If your daughter would like to be smaller, she can certainly have the breast reduction surgery repeated. I would recommend waiting at least 3 months to allow for healing, and I would also recommend her new surgeon have the operative notes from her previous surgeon so he/she knows exactly what type of procedure was performed. Best of luck!

Plastic Surgery

Dr. Audrey Klenke

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Audrey Klenke and her team provide advanced healthcare for people seeking reconstructive or cosmetic surgery to enhance their well-being. We understand that living well includes feeling good about the way you look. As Beaufort County’s only female plastic surgeon, Dr. Audrey Klenke offers a unique perspective, driven by modern perceptions of aesthetics. She views cosmetic surgery as a natural part of a healthy lifestyle. Pinnacle Plastic Surgery also offers a state-of-the-art medical spa, where your vision is our inspiration. Our Licensed Esthetician specializes in age-defying treatments, and our Certified Permanent Makeup Artist provides medical tattoo services including eyebrows, eyeliner, lips, 3-D nipple/areola restoration and more. Whether you’re looking for fabulous quick fixes, like Botox® and Juvederm®, or time-honored surgical procedures, like facelift and tummy tuck, our goal is to help you look your best at any age.

Dr. Klenke completed her plastic surgery residency training program at the University of Cincinnati, where she served as the Chief Administrative Resident in the Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery. She is a published writer in the fields of breast cancer, non-surgical options and facial contouring.

American Medical Association, Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce, Greater Bluffton Chamber of Commerce and Beaufort Regional Chamber of Commerce

Care Magazine, FIT Magazine, The Island Packet and The Bluffton Sun

*Chief Administrative Resident: University of Cincinnati Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery *Doctor of Medicine: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine *BA in Biopsychology: Vassar College

*The Island News Favorites (2015) *WTOC Best of the Lowcountry (2015) *The Island Packet Readers’ Choice Awards (2014/2015) *Best of Bluffton (2014/2015) *Sun Today Select (2014/2015) *Hilton Head Monthly's Reader's Choice Awards (2014)