Plastic Surgery/panniculectomy

Question
I am a candidate for a panniculectomy. My question is, why is it better for someone to get a full tummy tuck? Paying out of pocket for it is expensive whereas insurance will pay for the panni. Which leads me to my second question: I have fat in my upper torso, not just my abdomen. I went to one surgeon who is not board certified in plastic surgery and he said he could remove the abdominal fat and then said snidely "I can't do anything about THAT" pointing to the fat above the abdomen. I was there for a consult for a panniculectomy. Can't I get liposuction in that area?
Can a person get a pan. and have the upper fat removed as well? This is all so confusing. Obviously I do not yet have a doctor lined up. Thank you.

Answer
The advantage of a full abdominoplasty is that in addition to removing the excess lower abdominal skin and fat, the upper abdomen is also contoured with tightening of the muscles and proper repositioning of the the belly button.

Many surgeons also do additional liposuction of the upper abdomen in conjunction with both panniculactomy and abdominoplasty, although there is some concern regarding possible added risk of combining these procedures.  In general, if the liposuction is conservative and done with proper tumescent technique, the combination seems safe.

Regarding the issue of Board Certification in Plastic Surgery, that is only one of many criteria you should use in selecting a surgeon.  Board Certification in Cosmetic Surgery may offer better assurance of competence in cosmetic procedures and, more recently, bariatric surgeons who are normally certified in General Surgery have been offering panniculectomy.  Plastic Surgery certification alone is no assurance that the surgeon has competence and experience in any specific operation.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS