Plastic Surgery/keloid scar

Hello, I had a fibroadenoma excision 4 years ago. My wound became a keloid scar after few months.I had no family history of keloid and i have never developed keloid scar when i had my immunization when i was a child. I went to skin specialist and had steroid injection twice only. But, I stopped taking the injection now and the keloid grows back to the original size. I sometimes have sharp pain at the keloid site. Is this normal? I stopped taking the injection cuz im afraid of the side effects of steroid. Will the steroid injection harm the body causing kidney damage? I would alsolike to know is there any other ways to treat keloid besides the injection and laser? even if i do the laser therapy and the injection, will the scar become less visible? Thank you

from Dr. Alan Engler
member of #RealSelf100

Hi Caroline,

Keloids and hypertrophic scars can be among the most vexing conditions to treat, for all involved.  How and why and when they occur is unpredictable, and treatment is inconsistent.  While some skin types (darker or thicker) and regions of the body (earlobes, sternum, thicker skin of legs, etc) are more likely to have these conditions, they can occur on any person, and any where on the body.

In general, injection of intralesional steriods is a reasonable treatment.  Excising the scar can remove it - temporarily, and it it can recur with a vengeance.  Radiation of the area post-excision can help but even that is not assured, and there are concerns (obviously) with radiation.

I would normally recommend that you be treated by a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is familiar with this condition, and then individualize the treatment.  As I indicated, though, it can be a frustrating situation, regardless of what is done.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.