Plastic Surgery/nasal collapse

A couple of years ago I had surgery to build up one side of my nose because it was collapsing due to facial paralysis. Now, my breathing is a lot worse. It feels like the inside of my nose, on that side is swollen. It is better if I pull on the side of my nose to open it up. Theh worst place is just under the bony bridge. If I pull up and out at the bridge it helps but I can't keep going around like that. My husband complains I snore now also. What should I do?

Seems to me that the cartilage or synthetic material that you got inserted on the side of your nose to prevent collapse [a good idea by the way] has now infolded and is actually blocking your airway. it is difficult to advise further without examining you. Here are a few suggestions
1. the leading edge of that graft can be trimmed from the inside in a simple procedure to open up the airway
2. other contributing factors for obstruction may need dealing with" these could be turbinates or septum. An ENT specialist can determine that
3. A spreader graft can be inserted at the apex of the inner nasal valve [the narrowest area] to widen the space
4. if the facial palsy is causing a lot of tissue sagging, a modified facelift on that side could help.
5. Sometimes an internal splint [available on internet] can be inserted during sleep to support and keep the airway open.
please see an ENT or plastic surgeon experienced in 'functional rhinoplasty'

I wish you good luck.

Plastic Surgery

Mohan Rangaswamy

I am a certified plastic surgeon with special interest on aesthetic surgery, practising in Dubai, U.A.E. dealing with patients form diverse nationalities. You can address questions to me on body and facial aesthetic surgery (liposuction, breast surgery, nose corrections, eyelid surgery, fat injections, botox and fillers) as well as reconstructive surgery. I also have experise in the area of peripheral nerve surgery such as carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve entrapments. I would especially welcome queries from net-surfers from this part of the world.

I have 17 years experience in reconstructive plastic surgery and over 12 years in aesthetic surgery. After qualifying as a general surgeon, I was fortunate to work in a unit that did complex reconstructive surgery and general surgery as well. This spurred my interest in plastic surgery as a career as the possibilities seemed to be amazing and limitless. This was the era when microsurgery and flaps captured our imagination. I further acquired formal training in Plastic surgery, burns, maxillofacial and hand surgery. this was followed by a training apprenticeship in aesthetic surgery. In my practice as a plastic surgeon, I do more aesthetic work now and am keen on developing minimal invasive surgery. I am a member of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, Royal college of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow, U.K.

Professional: Plastic and Reconstructive surgery journal, Acta Tropica, European journal of OB & Gyn etc.