Plastic Surgery/Blemishes

Where does dermatology end and plastic surgery and esthetic treatments begin? When I go to the dermatologist with gripes with skin issues they just say use soap, water, and moisturizers. Never seems to make a difference. It's like if it isn't medically harming me it doesn't matter. Who should I confer with regarding facial growths and do they generally take insurance?

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you're talking about but it sounds like it is primarily a dermatology issue that may not be covered by insurance.  Insurance coverage depends on the specifics of your policy but, as a rule, conditions that are believed to be medically significant are more likely to be "covered" than those that are not.  That, though, is assuming that you follow the guidelines of your plan, which typically restricts the doctors you can go to.

That's why if you approach it as a self-pay situation you may be better able to address what sound like they may be cosmetic issues.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500

Plastic Surgery

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Dr. Engler has answered over 6400 questions on social media sites, including over 3500 on AllExperts alone. His expertise includes breast surgery (breast enlargement with implants, breast reduction, breast lifts), liposuction, eyelid surgery, tummy tucks, facelifts, lipomas, skin cancers, cysts, etc. Dr. Engler has been listed as one New York`s Top Doctors, and as "One of the World's Most Famous Aesthetic Surgeons" (Aesthetic Surgery, TASCHEN Books, Angelika Taschen, Editor). He is the author of 4 books, including "BodySculpture" (a best-selling plastic surgery book on breast surgery, liposuction and tummy tucks), "EyeScapes" (Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids), "Restylane," and "The Slim Book of Liposuction." Dr. Engler has two US Patents for surgical instruments that he's designed, and has appeared on numerous television shows, including The Tyra Banks Show, The Ricki Lake Show (four times), the Dr. Keith Ablow Show and Jerseylicious. Videos of his appearances are available on YouTube (search for "DR. ENGLER"), and his discussion of breast implants, also on YouTube is "How to Choose a Breast Implant." His website is Follow Dr. Engler: @AlanEnglerMD

Dr. Alan Engler is a board-certified plastic surgeon in New York and the author of BodySculpture - Plastic Surgery of the Body for Men and Women (ISBN 0966382749) one of the top-selling plastic surgery books on,, as well as EyeScapes - Plastic Surgery of the Eyelids.

Dr. Engler graduated from Yale University (BA, Russian Studies) and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (MD). He did his residency training in General Surgery and, after that, Plastic Surgery, at the Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is on the faculty of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York in the Departments of both Surgery (Plastic Surgery) and Medicine (Dermatology), and is a Special Lecturer in the Department of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York. He has admitting privileges at Beth Israel Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, both in New York.