Plastic Surgery/Mole removal

Question
QUESTION: How much scaring can be expected from removing a facial mole? I have one that is benign and colorless but I don't like it. I tried using apple cider vinegar to try to dry it would but I think it gave me a bit of an acne breakout. What options are there?

ANSWER: No simple answer for this one James.  It depends on the size and location of the mole.  Some areas of the face heal better than others, and scaring can vary from individual to individual.  Generally, benign facial moles do well with punch excision and careful suturing with very fine sutures.  There is also good evidence that light laser resurfacing of the area five weeks after excision will lead to less scaring.

Sincerely
Howard Tobin MD FACS

QUESTION: Can you recommend anything nonsurgical? I don’t mind if it is gradual. I just want no noticeable scaring. Particularly since I might grow new moles in the same area.

Answer
Freezing, chemicals and various forms of electrsurgical or laser energy are used, but all do leave scars to some extent. A light surgical "shave" of the lesion can be used. while scaring is minimal with this technique, recourrance is somewhat higher

Howard Tobin MD FACS

Plastic Surgery

Howard Tobin MD FACS