Plastics/resin vs plastic

Question
Hi there Richard. I just have a quick question. so far I understand that resin is unprocessed plastic. see after resin and catalyst dries or cures, does that officially become plastic. can one call  that plastic after resin and catalyst is dried or cured? would it be technically correct to label resin as plastic? I could not find a specific answer, so here it is. I would appreciate your help, thanks.

Answer
The word "resin" has been applied in the modern world to nearly any component of a liquid that will set into a hard lacquer or enamel-like finish. An example is nail polish, a modern product which contains "resins" that are organic compounds, but not classical plant resins. Certain "casting resins" and synthetic resins (such as epoxy resin) have also been given the name "resin" because they solidify in the same way as some plant resins, but synthetic resins are liquid monomers of thermosetting plastics, and do not derive from plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

In my opinion all plastics are a type of resin. Typically we refer to plastic materials as resins. It has been that way for the 30+ years that I have been working in the plastic business.

Thanks,

Rik

Plastics

Richard W. Keeley