Plastics/resin vs plastic

Hi there Richard. I just have a quick question. so far I understand that resin is unprocessed plastic. see after resin and catalyst dries or cures, does that officially become plastic. can one call  that plastic after resin and catalyst is dried or cured? would it be technically correct to label resin as plastic? I could not find a specific answer, so here it is. I would appreciate your help, thanks.

The word "resin" has been applied in the modern world to nearly any component of a liquid that will set into a hard lacquer or enamel-like finish. An example is nail polish, a modern product which contains "resins" that are organic compounds, but not classical plant resins. Certain "casting resins" and synthetic resins (such as epoxy resin) have also been given the name "resin" because they solidify in the same way as some plant resins, but synthetic resins are liquid monomers of thermosetting plastics, and do not derive from plants.

In my opinion all plastics are a type of resin. Typically we refer to plastic materials as resins. It has been that way for the 30+ years that I have been working in the plastic business.

Richard W. Keeley

Hands on training of technical and operational personnel in all aspects of machine operations, quality monitoring, and process capability studies in a molding machine environment. Complete operation of production line facilities from concept (PPAP runoffs) to full production run statistics. Capable of a wide range of competencies on various computers systems and computer software. (RJG cavity and press monitoring, scientific molding methods and 8D problem solving tools) An ability to use continuous improvement techniques to maintain quality of products, scrap reduction and operating expenses in a manufacturing environment (TQM) Ability to trouble shoot Programmable Logic Control Systems (PLC’s)

A strong commitment to achieving sustained customer satisfaction through the use of quality systems. Met with customers on a regular basis to develop machine specifications and solve operational problems. Conducted customer training and troubleshooting on all types of machine operations throughout the United States and Central America. Experienced in the set-up and entertaining of customers at plastics industry expositions and trade shows.

Society of Plastics Engineers Society of Plastics Industry

Ferris State College, Big Rapids, MI 1983. Associate Degree in Plastics Engineering Technology. Member of Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) Active participation in professional development workshops and seminars