Plastics/Custom plastic washer

Hi, I'm looking to have a custom washer manufactured but it seems to be a lot harder than i initially planned. I've got a sample that I sent to several companies but they are unable to identify the specific material. Due to me only requiring 200 initially to test, it is probably best to have them cut from a sheet than injection moulded to minimise cost. However I'm finding it difficult to get an alternative material, the washer measures: outer diameter 18mm, inner diameter 11mm and the thickness is 2mm. Preferably the colour of the material is to be red and it must be a strong plastic that is resistant to alkalis in particular sodium hypochlorite. I'm just wondering if you know of any material that would be suitable ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Max

Hi Max,
I am surprised that the samples you sent out were not identified send me a sample and I will look to have the sample analysed for you I know several people involved with testing plastics.
You are right to look at the easy way to make them based on your current requirements your production does not require a mould tool you could also depending on the material look at turning the parts out of solid.
I would need more information about the part to recommend an alternative material.
If you wish me to have a look at the sample then contact me on I live quite close to you.

Robert Tomlinson

Tooling design,design for manufacture,tooling procurement,machine design,machine procurement,
Processes injection moulding,injection blow moulding,extrusion blow moulding, process control,productivity improvement,Quality,Decoration,Assembly,Automation.Thin wall moulding expert.

Recent and past projects. ?Designed various closures for a new type of composite tube and assisted company in bringing the product to market one design now in use by a major high street retail group a second design is currently moving into the production phase. ?Assisted a company in procuring sheet materials for a construction project. ?Identified source of a foreign plastic body for a major manufacturer of food products. ?Outsourced the manufacture of a building product reducing the cost of manufacture by 10%. ?Provided technical assistance to a manufacturer of blank car registration plates which improved production and reduced rejects. ?Provided interim management for a manufacturer of composite GRP tubes and structures. ?Carried out commercial due diligence and technical appraisal of a manufacturer of plastic products on behalf of the buyer a major investment group. ?Provided technical assistance to a major producer of closures with a hot runner and colour change problem. ?Provided technical assistance with a problem regarding a mould tool and hot runner system processing PET. ?Carried out research and development of a patented testing system for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer. ?Designed and implemented a manufacturing cell that produced annual savings of over 35k. ?Designed and project managed a transfer system of mouldings from the point of manufacture to the warehouse that reduced labour and eliminated bottle necks. ?Increased the production of aerosol caps by 16% at a leading European manufacturer which resulted in an increase of 600k components per day. ?Invented, designed and implemented an automatic part rejection system that reduced labour and customer complaints at a closure manufacturer. ?Set up joint venture between Indian and UK manufacturer. ?Designed auto engine support mounting bracket that reduced cost of manufacture. ?Designed planned preventative maintenance system for a manufacturer that reduce downtime by 10%. ?Reduced the cost of machine spares by 10% for an injection moulding company. ?Designed an automatic water cooling evacuation system as part of a single minute exchange of die project. ?Carried out procurement of replacement plastic pump parts for a Saudi Arabian company. ?Carried out appraisal and valuation of plant for a company prior to them purchasing a company. These are only a few of the successful projects that have been undertaken by Plastic Moulding Solutions since it?s formation if you require assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your requirements.