Plastics/Material strength issues

Question
Hexagon shaped holes
Hexagon shaped holes  
Hello Mr Tomlinson,

I want to get a part made, and I was wondering if you could offer any advice on selecting the best material. (the part will be laser cut rather than moulded, but your comment on the material choice would be much appreciated)
As you can see in the attached image, the part features a number of hexagon shaped holes which are made in a 4mm thick sheet. There is a 0.2mm distance between each hole, and I am just concerned about the possibility of these 0.2mm sections breaking when the part is handled.
Could you tell me what type of strength is relevant here? When I look at data sheets for different materials, there are a number of different types of strengths listed, but I am not sure which one I should be looking at, or what value it should be in order to be safely handled without breaking.
Any advice here and/or suggestions on the best plastic material would be most welcome.

Thank you and regards,
Eddie

Answer
Hi Eddie,
I believe we have communicated before some time ago.
Regarding the selection of material for your project it will also depend on what environment and use the material is going to be subjected to along with the strength issue.
Once you have established the above you can then look again at the available materials which meet your specific criteria do not forget if the part is coming into contact with say acid or other substances which may affect the chosen polymer.
Of the top of my head I would look at trialing several materials such has polycarbonate, glass filled nylon or any of the other engineering materials rather than a commodity polymer.
Also look at the design of the part to see if you can add strength to it in some areas.
regards,

Robert.  

Plastics

Robert Tomlinson