Plumbing in the Home/H2ow-TO tank & pump

I use a well for a small shower outside a pool. The pump lately has been running without pumping any water. It's just a steady run noise. I hooked a water hose to the connection next to the pressurized tank to see if this works. It didn't. I did notice a small leak in the 1 1/4" piping coming from the well to the pump. I checked the pressure on top of the tank and it read 18psi. The air pressure tank reads 30/50. So I pumped the tank up to 28psi. Then I checked the contacts on the pressure switch to make sure the were not stuck. They move correctly. Now when I plug in, I get nothing. The pump is not running at all. Do I need to make adjustments anywhere or could the small leak on the line coming into the pump be the cause? Any ideas would be helpful.

It's possible that the pump may have burnt out.  

Whenever you notice a leak on a feed line to a pump, it's best to act
quickly and repair it otherwise the pump is working overtime to pull
water from the well (which it is not designed to do).

Also, whenever you have to make adjustment to a pressure tank, it's best
to isolate the tank and take any water pressure off in order to ensure
you have proper pressure on the internal bladder.

Hope this helps.

PS - If my answer was helpful for you, please give me a good rating

PPS - Follow me on Twitter at  

Plumbing in the Home

Anthony - The Plumber

I can answer most questions in the field of plumbing home repair for the inside or outside property of a home including irrigation systems, septic systems, well water systems, recirculation systems and I can address these questions from a beginning plumbing standpoint or for someone who has more advanced skills.

Are you working on an addition or remodelling? Need some bathroom or kitchen design ideas?

Run your questions by me since I enjoy that challenge of remodelling & new construction projects.

I have worked on a variety of major projects including Home Depot as an outsourced Project Manager tasked to repair the fire system at the Fullerton/Placentia store and distribution center in Orange County. I believe in simplifying any task I am assigned in order to avoid wasting time and material, while I always look for the simplest solution possible to the issue and then I execute my plan. Having lead many construction crews, large and small, I have been involved in residential and commercial repair and remodel projects including medical facilities, new home construction, high rises and apartment complexes. Building maintenance work in condominium complexes from Playa del Rey to Beverly Hills to the Hollywood Hills are a speciality. I have completed many maintenance work projects at complexes great and small.

IAPMO (Int'l Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials)

Los Angeles Trade Technical College - Plumbing, Electrical and HVAC
El Camino College - HVAC, Electrical

Past/Present Clients My lips are sealed, however, I have personally worked for a well-known "kitten" actress, close friends of a certain comedic "Redhead" actress/producer, one of the lead actresses from "Gone With The Wind" and a former Governor of the State of California!

My lips are sealed, it wouldn't be professional to name names!