Plumbing in the Home/remove handle from Kohler Fairfax kitchen faucet

arnold wrote at 2010-11-04 20:16:05
A better way to remove the Handle than by using a screwdriver is to place a piece of wood against the back of the faucet against the Cap (the piece between the Handle and faucet Hub).  Fit a one-half inch wide piece of wood against the Cap, resting on top of the Hub (faucet body) and beneath the Handle.  Lift the handle, as if turning on the faucet, and it pops off the valve.  With no damage to any reusable part.

Gabe wrote at 2011-02-05 09:56:03

I had the same problem.  I attempted Anthony's solution, but (perhaps due to my own incompetence) it was not working.  I was even starting to damage the handle.  I also tried various combinations of twisting, prying, pulling, and bargaining with god, but nothing was really working.  Then I squirted a bit of lime juice down the hole where the screw had been.  The thing started making tiny little bubble sounds, and immediately popped off when I gently pulled on it.  It was highly satisfying.  I'm not a plumber, so I can't say if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me, so I'd say give it a shot.  Best of luck!

Ben wrote at 2011-03-19 21:48:53
Kohler has a pictorial explanation. Very handy.

http://helptopics.us.kohler.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5712

In my case, the big trick turned out to be just pulling the handle up much harder than seemed wise.

Kat wrote at 2015-07-03 00:16:09
Arnold's tip about using the 1/2 inch wood for leverage was RIGHT ON! Slid a 1/2-inch square, 2 foot long stick of wood I found in the basement between the handle and the hub of the faucet -- it was snug because our counter (we have an island)is only about 1/2" from the faucet, so I didn't need the other piece of wood behind the faucet. Pulled the handle up, it hit the snug wood and popped right off. What a relief, after hours of talking to three people on the manufacturer's hotline (two different suggestions and one wrong information); waiting for vinegar to work (it didn't); using a thin screwdriver to pry (carefully, but it did not work and started to damage the handle). Thank you, Arnold--fixed the vacuum issue, fixed the leak, and did it for free!

Plumbing in the Home

Anthony - The Plumber