Plumbing in the Home/Sump Pump Will Not Shut Off

beyerch wrote at 2014-03-15 08:14:16
I have a very similar issue and it is the internal switch going bad.  More specifically, the seal that keeps water away from the switch is letter water in.  If the pump sits long enough, the water that leaked in will drain back out and the switch will start working again.

In my case, the water coming into the pit was poring right on top of the pump.  By redirecting the water flow so it did not pour onto the top of the pump, I was able to extend the switch another 9 months before I had to pull it out and replace the switch.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal